BACP Registered. Qualified. Supportive.
I sought counselling many years ago and found a long, painful, yet rewarding and empowering journey that promoted lasting change. Here is just a brief snippet into some of the reasons therapy helped:
- It took me some time to realise why I felt certain emotions or why I had certain behaviours. For example, I realised that my anxiety stemmed from feelings of low self-esteem and self-worth. In therapy, we approached the exploration of when and how these came to be and soon came the great revelation that the power to change this was within me.
- Being listened to without judgement and receiving the empathic responses from counselling helped me gain my sense of self, who I really was and to build up my emotional resilience. The journey did not stop there as I started to look at other areas in my life that were unfulfilling, harmful or “not for growth”.
We are all human and will all face difficulties in life and starting a counselling relationship with an empathic and understanding qualified therapist can really help promote positive growth, healing, a new way of being and self-empowerment.
- I am a Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by their Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.
- I am Scottish. I live in London and previously lived in France. I am happy to work with you in English or French.
Qualifications and Experience:
My therapist work and training has spanned many of life’s experiences. I worked as a counsellor for the Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Service, a low-cost community-based counselling and psychotherapy service in Ealing, West London. In addition to private practice, I am a therapist at St Joseph’s Hospice in Hackney working with bereavement. Counselling for bereavement and loss often allows a person to adjust to their new life with all its changes – good and bad. Keeping things bottled up or denying the sadness could prolong the pain. Any loss often has to be acknowledged in order to move forward. Bereavement counselling tries to help people find a place for their loss so they can carry on with life and eventually find acceptance.
I have worked in various roles in financial markets throughout my career which gives me a great insight into difficulties that can be faced in the corporate world from work/life balance and career struggles to redundancy and internal relationships – not to forget that common theme of perfectionism, procrastination and paralysis.
- I trained for one year at Birkbeck, University of London, and four years at the Metanoia Insitute in London.
- Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling from Metanoia Institute in London
- BA (Hons) in Person-Centred Counselling from Middlesex University, London.
- Certificate in Therapy with Couples and Other Relationships from The Grove, London
- Certificate in the Counselling Couples Toolkit (CPD) from The Counselling Academy
- TA 101 from the Metanoia Institute: basic tenets of transactional analysis.
- Rewind Technique with Dr Muss
- COVID 19 (Coronavirus) Telehealth Certificate from the Online Therapy Institute– this certificate was brought in to convert existing therapists and health professionals swiftly to be competent in providing counselling online.
As a BACP Registered Member, I abide by the BACP Ethical Framework and ensure that I get regular supervision and training so that you can feel confident in our work together.
Areas I work with:
Some of the areas I work with or have trained and/or personally experienced include (but not limited to):
- Affairs and Betrayals
- Anxiety and Panic attacks
- Attachment and Neuroscience
- Bereavement and Loss
- Bullying or Harassment
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Couples and Other Relationships
- Covid 19 (Coronavirus) Telehealth certificate by the Online Therapy Institute – see above
- Domestic Violence, Abusive or Coercive Relationship
- Endometriosis and other female autoimmune diseases
- Exam or Assignment Difficulties
- Identity and Cultural Issues
- Life Changes
- Loss of Meaning and Purpose
- Low mood
- Low Self-Esteem and Confidence issues
- Menopause (and everything that comes with it)
- Mindfulness Mind Management
- Neuroscience and attachment theory
- Perfectionism, Procrastination and Paralysis
- Relationship Issues: Couples and other relationships, Divorce, Separation, Conflicts etc.
- Rewind Technique (for trauma, PTSD, phobias)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Sex after Sexual Trauma
- Social Anxiety
- Somatic symptoms, psychosomatic illness
- Stuckness – feeling stuck
- Women’s Issues
- Work Difficulties: Communication, Pressure and Stress, Struggles etc.
- You will find my BACP registration here
- You will find my registration with the Information Commissioners Office here
- My professional liability insurance is with Oxygen, Policy Number: OXY9561856 and underwritten by Hiscox Underwriting Limited
- You will find my credentials verified on the register of Psychology Today
- You will find my credentials verified on the register of Counselling Directory
- You will find my credentials verified on the register of UK Counsellors (also know as Counsellors Together UK (CTUK)